Tuesday, June 2, 2009

From The Closet: Sketch 1

I've been finding a lot of random things in with the pages from my closet. Not sure when I did this particular sketch, but I think it was part of a pitch I'd originally intended for Wildstorm.

It's also an early attempt at using a photograph as the basis for the drawing. I like the way the shadows worked out, so if I ever use photos on a regular basis, I might have to play with this kind of dramatic lighting.

If I remember correctly, I was hoping to pitch a supernatural mini-series to my editor, but it fell more within Old-School Vertigo territory than anything Wildstorm was doing at the time.

Still, I might recycle a couple of the ideas and create something new out of it. I've forgotten most of the plot-points by now, so I'd have to rebuild it from scratch, unless the old pitch is buried in closet, as well.

2 comments:

Steven Wilcox said...

Love the inking style here, Matthew. I'd buy a supernatural book by you - so good luck on finding/rebuilding that pitch...

matthew dow smith said...

Thanks, Steven. Glad you like. It's a fun and relatively quick way to work. And I will be forwarding your comment to every editor I know.

But in all seriousness, I'm going to try and get something going here this year, even if it's for a small publisher. I've got a lot of projects gathering dust while I go about the business of making a living in the comic book world.

The problem has always been balancing the work-for-hire gigs that keep a roof over my head with the more personal jobs. More often than not, work-for-hire wins in that little tug of war.

And finishing the novel will probably help on that score. Even if I can't sell it, I'll at least have a lot more free time.

Best,
MDS